URGENT: 16 July 2020 SOUTH SYDNEY District JRFL Ltd response to Covid 19 spike
Due to the current situation of a Covid 19 spike in Sydney and the NSWRL determining that competitions in Western Suburbs and Canterbury districts should be delayed 2 weeks to assess the situation, the SSDJRFL Ltd have made the following decision:
That all Souths Juniors clubs will not participate in Rounds 1 and 2 of the local (5s -12s) and NSWRL Combined Competitions (13s –Open Age) due to commence this Saturday the 18th and Sunday the 19th of July.
Any training that occurs must be under the Step 2 protocols of the Return to Play Roadmap (deliberate contact drills not permitted )
An assessment on the season ahead will be made within those two weeks depending on advice received from the NSWRL and NSW health.
Note that within our junior league there are many participants that reside in the areas considered hot spots in Sydney and that the cancelling of play for the Canterbury and Western Suburbs districts does not include those participants who are still rightfully free to play with our clubs. We also have two clubs that border the Canterbury district.
Whilst we are fully aware that decision will not please all and are mindful of the efforts that clubs have made to return to train and prepare for play under Covid plans, our first priority in this matter is our responsibility to the local community and we feel that this is the best form of action at the current moment, particularly considering almost 4 months of our season has been lost already.
I will update at the appropriate time.
Chief Executive Officer - South Sydney District JRFL